Implications of Cannabis Legalization Webinar
September 27, 2018, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
As of October 17, 2018, Cannabis possession and consumption will be legal in Canada—immediately impacting all aspects of property and casualty insurance.
In this 2-hour webinar, we’ll bring you up-to-the-minute information on the changing regulatory and risk landscapes and corresponding potential solutions. This seminar will provide an advanced understanding of insurance-specific implications of cannabis.
- Exploration of new regulatory landscapes:
- FEDERAL (licensed producers) – Understanding the regulation of the production of cannabis.
- PROVINCIAL (sales and distribution of marijuana) – understanding the patchwork rules, what is different provincially vs other jurisdictions
- MUNICIPAL – applicable by-laws,
- Review of the risks associated with possession and use of cannabis in the following contexts:
- Automobile liability – the coverage implications of legislation, state of technology for testing, roadside test pilot, new drug impaired offences
- Social and commercial host liability – cannabis-related impairment, development of common law negligence
- Condominium management and directors duties – rules and responsibilities, how to balance rights of the individual vs the condo
- Personal lines underwriting – medical users and non-medical users, human rights considerations
- Commercial lines underwriting – commercial property underwriting and claims considerations
- Commercial liability for producers and distributers – understanding the liability matrix
- Consequential impact on trademark and intellectual property – identifying issues with IP including strains of cannabis and IP
Your Presenter: Mario Fiorino
Mario Fiorino is Director Legal and Assistant Counsel at the Insurance Bureau of Canada, where he is coordinator of the National Commercial Standing Committee. Mario has a national practice and provides legal, business and government relations support to all IBC regional offices. Mario has worked with insurance professionals and organizations in all Canadian jurisdictions, Europe, the United States and Australia on emerging risks, professional liability, organizational development and change management issues. Mario is a graduate from the University of Windsor (Law) and Western University (Masters in Education).
WHEN : September 27, 2018 , 10:00am-12:00pm via webinar only. Please note: Unfortunately this session cannot be recorded.