• Linkedin
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
Home | Careers | Blog | Member Area

Commonly Asked Questions

What is the difference between an insurance broker and an insurer?

An insurance broker works for the consumer, to find them the best product to fit their specific needs. The insurer provides the insurance coverage. The brokers’ job is to choose an insurer that best meets the consumers needs, and negotiates on behalf of the consumer.

What is the difference between an insurance broker and an insurance agent?

If the individual selling the insurance is the agent of the party buying the insurance, then that person is called a broker.

If the person selling the insurance is the agent of the insurance company providing the coverage, then that person is called and insurance agent.

How do I obtain an insurance license?

To obtain a license, you must be sponsored by an insurance company. This means, you must be working in a brokerage in order to be sponsored. You can complete the education necessary to obtain this license without working in the industry, however in order to obtain the actual license, you must be working for a brokerage.

What is the highest level of license in Nova Scotia?

The highest level of license for property and causality insurance is a level 3 license

What are my first steps on the career path to becoming an insurance broker?

You can begin applying for positions in brokerages without having any type of insurance education; however, it is beneficial to begin the steps to obtain a level 1 license prior to employment.  To obtain a level 1 license, you can begin with either the Fundamentals of Insurance, or Module 1 of the Canadian Accredited Insurance Broker (CAIB) program.

For more information on our courses, please see our course list, or contact our Professional Development Coordinator, .

Click to view Sponsors

Platinum Sponsor


Premiere Sponsors

Aviva Intact RSA

Presenting Sponsors

Pembridge Insurance Bank of Montreal